Saturday, June 19, 2010

Oh, We're Half Way There


I’ve reached the halfway point of my stay here on Straddie; 3 more weeks to go. Today we also get 6 new volunteers for phase 2 of the census, with 2 more volies scheduled to arrive next week. We will be operating from 2 locations for next 3 weeks, Frenchman’s (aka Mt. Olympus) and Norm’s Seat. In previous studies, the census took place at Norm’s Seat, but the locals often complained that our gear and armchairs were taking up the prime location for whale watching on the island. So this year the council erected a scaffolding at the new location Frenchman’s, which receives less foot traffic and elevates us from the general public. The data from Frenchman’s, however, need to be calibrated with those from Norm’s Seat, so it can be compared to previous years. Which is why for 3 weeks during the peak of the northern migration, we will be counting whales at both sites, enabling us to develop an algorithm from the data to correct for the location change. Then the first batch of volies (me included) will leave, and the second batch will take over back on Mt. Olympus for the remainder of the census. All very exciting stuff to you I’m sure.

My roommate Zeus will be moving into a new house with his girlfriend Amy and a few others, in an effort to mix up the old and new volies. Zeus and I have formed a special bond based on smell and our general lack of cleanliness, and it will be sad to see him go. My new roommate’s name is Paul, but we have all decided to call him Mike (even though we haven’t met him yet). There will also be another Mike (soon to be called something else), and 5 other girls...hopefully all single. So far the 7-1 female to male ratio in Australia I was told about has been a lie, but we are on an island full of old rich retired people, so I guess it’s a little biased. Luckily my odds will be increasing today, not that I’m here to meet women; after all I am a professional. It’s just nice to know the option is there.

I am in the process of trying to cancel my Baja trip, which leaves a day after I return to the states. Since I’ll be flying back here in September, I really don’t think I’ll have enough money to pay for Baja. The problem is they have already cashed my check, and I have to write a letter explaining why I think they should give me it back. I’m sure they’ll understand, but I know they probably won’t be happy about it; the numbers for the class have been low this year (probably since our government is trying to scare people from travelling, especially to Mexico). I really won’t mind if they decide to keep the money, I’ll just be forced to spend 2 weeks in warm weather, snorkelling and watching whales and birds all day. So I may be coming home a few weeks before schedule, July 16 or so, if Baja gets cancelled. Not sure when I’ll return to Monterey, but it sounds like I’m needed back at the whale watch for the busy season. If worst comes to worst I can always sell my bike back to REI, 100% satisfaction guarantee (the breaks are a little grabby).

Today is also Father’s Day, and since it would take a lot of effort to send you a card from here (and since I’m too late anyways), happy Father’s Day Dad. For those of you who know my Dad you can imagine how easy it is to miss the guy; he’s funny, he has lots of stories (of which I’ve heard a thousand times), he has a moustache, and he can kick your dad’s ass any day (although he is getting kind of ‘up there’). I’ve learned a lot of valuable lessons from you Dad, and those lessons are keeping me alive in this dangerous continent of Drop Bears and Hoopsnakes (both do not exist if you haven’t figured it out yet). Mom, you will have to wait until Mother’s Day, but you’re not so bad yourself. Thanks for the support and everything you’ve done for me so far. That being said....I’m running a little low on money (don’t panic Mom that’s a joke, I’m fine with money at the moment).
One of the volies has found a tree where the huge fruit bats roost during the day, it’s apparently just down the street from the library (about a 15 minute walk). I’ve been meaning to grab a photo of those creepy bastards, they really are freaking huge. The tree is right next to the road, and is not too tall, so it should be a good view. The surf is still epic, from the northeast, so it’s time for my morning waves.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you are able to cancel the Baja trip. You had me on the Drop Bears and Hoop snakes - good one. Dad enjoyed his Father's Day message; thanks. All is well here. Sounds like everything is going okay on your end. What's the total count on whales so far? Continue to be safe and take care. We're looking forward to your return soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you are able to cancel your trip to Baja, if not, at least you know you'll have a good time. Where exactly are you going to be in Aussie land when you return in Sept? I am contemplating flying out at the end of your trip and maybe we could explore the land down under for a week or so... I could stay in Sydney with friends for a few days while you wrap things up... just a thought. I can't imagine that you would be sick of it by then, but you never know. I'm also guessing that the 2nd trip to Aust. cancels out the cruise, but there will be plenty more years to come for us to do that. Enjoy the last three weeks! Cant wait to see all the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise-

    I booked my flight for Sep 16th to Brisbane, and will return Oct 26th. The study will be north of Brisbane near Nousa Head (may not be spelled correctly), which is a famous surf break. I won't have any time to explore probably since I will be strapped for cash. I should have enough saved up by January for another trip, so don't cancel the plans yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. Well I'll just plan Aussie for another time. We could go for a month or so. And still plan on the cruise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, you mentioned something about girls!! Andrew will be so happy :)

    ReplyDelete