Monday, June 21, 2010

In Need of a Nap

I’m getting tired. The new volies are all very nice, but having 20 plus people around now all the time is already overwhelming for me. People try to compete for conversations, personalities are starting to clash, and our core group of 8 is no more. All of us for the first phase seemed to bond pretty well, and formed a steady routine of waking up, surfing, eating, counting whales, eating more, surfing, counting whales, and drinking. Now, everything has changed. But I’m trying to stay professional about it, plus it’s only for another 3 weeks. I’m sure the newbie’s and the oldies will fall into a new routine in the coming days. For now, I’m just trying not to strangle a few of them.


The wind blew a gale again today, and the rain came down in buckets. The whales that passed by today will not be counted, but statistics will fill in the gaps for the final estimate. We spent the day training the new volies on how to use the Cyclopes software (the program that tracks the whales movements), and the ins and outs of Theo (the theodolite for you new comers). What a long day, I’m ready for some barby, beer, and bed. It’s supposed to blow again tomorrow, so we plan to continue our search for the elusive koalas.

Jessie found the rousting trees for the giant fruit bats a few days ago, so I walked down there yesterday to check it out. It’s only about a 15 minute walk from the house. They roust in 20 meter tall gum trees, and they are in the thousands. It was hard to miss; you could hear their chatters from a ways away. It was pretty cool; they are so big and ugly. I snapped a few photos, I’ll post them in a few days when I get them uploaded. Well that’s the quick update; I’ve just determined that I don’t feel like typing anything.

4 comments:

  1. aww I think fruit bats are cute...although I admit I may be a bit weird in what I think is cute. looking forward to seeing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any of the core group returning in September? Hear anything about the Baja trip? Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey friend,

    I know that I haven't posted any comments lately but I've still been reading. Reef and I are having a great time together, and I don't feel like he's bummin' much anymore.

    I got your message over the phone and I'm looking forward to talking with you more and hearing all the 'details' and background stuff. I hope you're taking good care over there. I miss you a ton.

    Renee says "hi". So does Reefer.

    Sending love as usual,
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kangaroos in the picture look like eastern gray's. Male on the left with the big front paws and a female with joey on the left. They have an amazing way of pausing there fetal development and always being pregnant. awesome creatures.

    If the other peeps are bugging you and you can't get out get some earplugs, it's an easy way to "get away" then just read a book or something

    ReplyDelete