Wednesday, June 2, 2010

BLOW Pod Q

I’m finally starting to get over the virus that has been going around the station. Today was a bright and sunny day of sub-tropical paradise. Worked the morning shift from 7-10am as the theodolite operator. It was super fun, just like playing a Star Wars video game. Someone calls out “Blow, 120 degrees, 1 reticule, then I swing the theo around to the correct barring and shoot. We saw maybe 12 whales in the morning.

Surfed for an hour outside the station at Frenchman’s. I group of small manta rays swam below me, one jumped beyond an approaching wave.

Worked again from 12-2pm as a spotter. Finished the day with a walk in the intertidal and discovered many crabs. Just as Darwin suggested, life adapts to its environment, almost all of the intertidal invertebrates were some shade of red, which matches well with the geology. This was also true for Kauai, where the inverts there were mostly all dark to black, to match the fresh lava flows.

Now I rest. I’ve posted a photo of the station. The yellow wagon is out main form of transportation. The boat is the “Beluga”, hopefully we will be taking it out soon.

Oh yeah, spotted a Kookaburra finally, yet to get a photo.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fascinating, Mike, all you have encountered and learned thus far. Glad to hear you are feeling better! Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say it, but this is sounding exactly like the life you want for yourself Mike. Damn it. I hope I don't loose you to Aussie...but if I do, I understand.

    Sending love and missing you,
    RO

    ReplyDelete