Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I Like Surfing

It has been a long day. This morning during the early shift, we had a total of 23 whales come past the point in about 6 pods. The wind blew a gale last night, and rained some time around 2 in the morning. The wind was about 20 knots plus when we arrived at 7am for the early shift. We donned our gloves and wind breakers as we sat and waited for those characteristic blows which barely stood out amongst the massive heard of sea sheep (white caps). Interestingly, the Bottlenose Dolphins are often seen chauffeuring the Humpbacks past the point as they migrate north to their breeding grounds.


So that’s what most of my days are going to be consist of for the next 5 weeks, sitting on top of Mt. Olympus waiting for the visible breath of sea going cattle, making their seasonal movement to a warmer climate. It’s actually not a bad gig, staring at the ocean is one of my favourite pastimes. Luckily I get a 2 hour break between shifts, which I usually use to go surfing in perfect waves with no one out, or to scout birds and mammals that I’ve never seen before. One of the head research dudes spotted a non-human killer type of snake on the trail to Mt. Olympus today, something else to look out for in the upcoming weeks.

The surf today was like a good day at Cowell’s (a classic break in Santa Cruz), waist to chest high and clean, at a break that has been appropriately named Cylinders. The only difference though was no one except for two other whale volunteers where out...brilliant. I didn’t bring a springy with me, so I was stoked when the sun actually showed itself here and there as the clouds moved threw to the north. When I’m on the same shift as Lou (the one with all of the boards), I’m usually stuck riding a short board. It’s squirrely and requires a lot of paddling. I can’t wait to drive down to southern CA in August and ride my brand new Durrell Longboard (hopefully it will be done by then).

I’m learning a lot about the Australian culture here too. They have a drive through bottle shop...amazing. We simply drive the 60’s yellow shaggen wagon down a winding corkscrew ramp to a sign that reads “please shut down engine”. From there you just walk through some auto doors and voila...booze. I thought Alabama was bad, but nope; Australia has got it beat. I’m trying to limit my drinking here. Not because I’m around “professionals” (they drink more than the Irish), but because beer is almost a third as much here as in the states. Since I’m not actually making any money during my stay in Australia, I’ve decided to limit my consumption.

I’m starting to actually miss people now...it’s weird. I think this has been sparked by the news that Reef (my big black dog), is acting very depressed after returning to my home in Monterey without me. It may also be due to all of the comments I’ve been receiving from people who are actually reading this blog. It easy to forget how much you enjoy the company of certain people and dogs until you are a whole ocean basin away from them. Especially when you listen to bands like Dirty Sweet. I should break the news sooner than later that I may continue this lifestyle for a little longer, and fly back to the land down under in September to work on another Humpback Whale study. It’s an opportunity that I just can’t pass up. I’ll be in Monterey during August, so hopefully I’ll be able to see all of you then. It isn’t finalized yet, but I think I’m going to do it. You only live once, today I live. Tonight, I go to bed.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like coastal California in the early 60s before The Beach Boys got everyone into surfing, but with more booze. You guys even have a car to match...rad. I will try to set up a play date for Reef and Odie before I leave, I bet getting his head humped by Odie will lift his spirits, haha. The next study starts in mid September, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, from the Ranchos. 23 whales; sounds like a good day on Mt. Olympus. Non-human killer type of snake (what kind of snake)?? If Reef continues to be down in the dumps we can always bring him back; he's no trouble at all, so don't worry about that. Remember - more birdwatching! I'm enjoying your pictures as well, Mike. Am I seeing kangaroos in the latest picture?? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from the Ranchos, next house over. Your posts are our entertainment... and we had a few bets going on that relate till how soon you return to aussie land after coming home. Im pretty close with the whole you just being home for a month thing. Yes! I win. You do only live once and it sounds like an awesome opportunity. Things will work out. You seem more happy than I can ever remember you being. Even happier than after you beat me up with the caboose (the end of the train- I don't think that is spelled right) Just kidding... I actually don't remember that at all. I'm sure Reef misses you, but who doesn't? He will be fine. Continue to write often... for some of us, this is our entertainment, other than watching Roxie chase her own tail- I wonder if she will ever learn... she sometimes yelps after she catches it cause she bites down pretty hard... Anyways, take care and avoid the human killer snakes... the non human killer snakes are ok... Takes lots of pictures, the new furniture makes our house look really empty so we need some awesome photography.

    -denise (if you didnt already know who this was)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from Ukiah..

    Weird, you actually miss people?! We miss you Mike! Can't wait to see you in August to catch up for a short bit before you head out again. So happy to hear you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geeze - maybe I shouldn't tell you about Reef? Everyone seems very concerned now. He's coming around...a bit. He at least smiles at me now and gets excited when we get to be together. I'm doing my best to tucker him out everyday - he's snoozing next to me right now. We're doing a short walk in the morning (before work), a long run in the evening, and a short walk before bed. Plus a good spread of other fun activities on the weekends (although we've only shared one together).

    Is it silly to be updating you on him and not me?

    Anyway - life is sounding good there. I'll miss you if you go back, but I know it'll be great for your soul.

    Sending love,
    -RO

    ReplyDelete