Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Red Sky's in the Morning

You know what they say about red sky’s in the morning…

A low pressure system in the area has triggered another cyclone demobilization. All of the vessels have now retreated from the area, expect for us. We are a much larger vessel (250 meters I believe), capable of handling rough conditions, so we’ve decided to stick it out and continue working. I’m eager to experience rough conditions at sea so I was happy with this decision. The system isn’t very strong and it’s mostly to the south of Barrow, still just a tropical low and probably won’t develop into a cyclone.

So I signed on this morning at 0540 hours as the sun began to pierce through the thick clouds to the east. Heavy rain squalls roll in every 30 minutes or so. I’ve been trying to decide whether the conditions are beauford 5 or 6. I’m not often in beauford 6 weather so it’s hard to judge. I think it will be a 6 by the end of the day…maybe more.

The photo is of the calm before the storm, yesterday morning.

1 comment:

  1. That's not good news....hope it remains on the calmer side. Why do you seem to be on the boat that wants to linger? Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete