Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Night at the Airport

This is going to be a long night. Word of advice for those of you planning on visiting Kaikoura New Zealand; organize transportation before the plane touches down, better yet make it a few days before the plane leaves. Otherwise you will end up pulling an all nighter in a bustling Christchurch terminal, trying to ignore that persistent nagging voice from above that you’ll in time learn to despise. Apparently the bus service from the airport to the seaside city only runs at 7am, so for the next 12 hours this sterile fluorescent dudgeon of strangers will be my home. Sure I could rent a car or call a taxi for a few hundred bucks, or try my luck on the street with a cardboard sign; but I’ve already spent too much on new camera gear to justify hiring a car and begging on the street has never been my style. Luckily I have experience sleeping in airports; Paul, Louie, Carl and I had to do it in Miami during our lengthy layover from Costa Rica…or was it Dallas? Either way it was hell. But this is what traveling on a whim is all about, things aren’t supposed to go to plan. You just have to embrace the unknown and go with it. Soon I will be immersed in a world of abundant seabirds new to me, in one the best and most accessible pelagic marine fauna portals in the world.  At least I have that to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment