Sunday, August 23, 2015

Sunny 16: Day 269


Today's the day, the moment of truth. Will I make the flight or not? Check-in doors open at noon, and I plan to be there at 11, hopefully putting me at the top of the standby list. If I make the 4 o-clock flight, it's four hours to Anchorage, with a stopover on St. George, and another hour or so to Homer, getting in sometime around 10 pm. I'll spend a brief night in Homer then drive ten hours back up to Fairbanks the following day. If I don't make the flight, it's another three days on St. Paul. We'll see what happens.

By-the-way, this photo is an example of the "Sunny 16 Rule", a method for attaining a perfect exposure without using a light meter. The rule is this - on a sunny day, set the aperture to f/16 and the shutter speed to the reciprocal of the ISO setting. (equivalent to film speed). For example, I wanted to photograph this scene using an ISO of 200, so I set my aperture to f/16 and my shutter speed to the reciprocal of 200, which is 1/200 of a second, and voila, a perfect exposure. Works every time.

Canon EOS 60D, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, ISO-200 f/16 @ 1/200 sec.

No comments:

Post a Comment