Saturday, May 30, 2015

Not So Fantastic Mr. Fox: Day 184


Today, while scouting for glass floats along a stretch of sandy beach on the north side of the island, I came across a rather unusual arctic fox. Unlike other Alaska Islands plagued with introduced foxes, animals naturally made their way out to the Pribilof's on winter pack ice. Arctic foxes are everywhere on St. Paul. Generally a fox will run away when approached, but this one just laid there and growled at me. In fact, I hadn't noticed I was standing nearly on top of it until it started growling. It appeared slightly dazed and too weak to move. Old age? Sick? Rabies? Either way I left it alone and continued on my way. No glass floats this time.

Canon EOS 60D, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM +1.4x, ISO-400 f/5.6 @ 1/500 sec.

4 comments:

  1. That fox looks all kinds of pissed off. Beautiful animal though and a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fox looks all kinds of pissed off. Beautiful animal though and a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He reminds me of a Jim Henson creature, like he should have stood up and spoke with a righteous British accent ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. Or maybe a righteous British accent in a beer commercial. I like where this is going.

    ReplyDelete