Friday, May 1, 2015

Back Into The Field: Day 155


I'm counting on this colorful pile of gear to be a sufficient amount of layers and essential items to keep me warm and occupied for the next four months, because I'm hit'n the road. Yes, this blog was supposed to be about life @ home, but as much as I'm enjoying home summer means field work, and I've got to make a living somehow. My destination this time is St. Paul Island, part of a group of windswept rocky slabs in the Bering Sea known as the Pribilof Islands. St. Paul is situated near the Bering shelf break, roughly 300 miles west of mainland Alaska and 300 miles north of the Aleutian Island chain. I'll be working as an Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge seasonal field technician for the US Fish and Wildlife Service, monitoring the various seabird species that return to St. Paul each summer to breed. I'm told the island has reliable internet, so in theory I'll keep things rolling with this daily photo blog, hopefully showcasing some of the amazing wildlife and rugged landscapes of the island and Bering Sea.

Canon EOS 60D, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, ISO-100 f/20 @ 3.2 sec.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike

    Exciting to see you're back out with the birds. Just catching up on where you're at via your beaut puffin pic. If you need to procrastinate, we have a weekly blog http://www.antarctica.gov.au/living-and-working/stations/macquarie-island/this-week-at-macquarie-island Words and pics perhaps not as beautiful as yours :)

    ReplyDelete