Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Time's Running Out


One week left before my return flight to California. Using this remaining time to catch some views of quintessential aussie wildlife, kangaroos, kookaburras, koalas, etc; and to cram as much surfing into my schedule as possible. I really enjoy my morning surf check walks to Peregian Beach (out front). The short trail runs through a barrier forest of gum trees and shrubs, before breaching through a small grass carpeted fore-dune that abruptly ends on the beach. I often see Figbirds vested in green with red blushing faces foraging on ripened fruits, along with a variety of small wren like birds I have yet to identify; all while dodging ghostly camouflaged sand crabs as they scurry sideways across my path into strategically excavated burrows. On a few occasions I’ve spotted large 3 foot Australian Monitor Lizards, also known as Goannas, basking in the beams of light penetrating the canopy; and Green Tree Snakes sprawled out across the trial, none venomous but capable of waking you up faster than a cup of coffee when almost stepping on them. Dawning my wetsuit top at the foot of the beach, I usually hear the gentle peeping call of Rainbow Beaters snatching insects in the morning light. Once in the waves, waiting for the next set to roll in, a quick refreshing dive to the shallow bottom is often accompanied by the faint haunting sound of male Humpback Whales singing just offshore, with long drawn out groans and sharp upsweeping whistles. It’s not often I get to share waves with the melodic chorus of 40 ton marine mammals, bellowing their blowholes out for mysterious reasons. Yes this truly is a unique corner of the globe.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome snapshots! Be careful and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magical. Love your descriptions.
    Hugs from kiwiland.

    ReplyDelete