Saturday, January 29, 2011

Missing the Weather Already

The Finnmarken arrived in the offshore waters around Barrow Island at dawn, and we are now firmly anchored in placid seas once again. I’m told there have been some mechanical issues with both the Gateway and Taurus, so there won’t be any dredging for at least two more days. I’m going to do my best to law low in my cabin during this time, so I’m not put on the same “wild goose chase” projects as last time this happened. I am only contracted to be an MFO, and that is the only work I will be doing on this project. They are are just going to have to pay me to dream about my trip to New Zealand while I stand by for the dredging to commence. Don't get me wrong, I like working, just not bullshit assignments.

I had a great time on my paid 5-6 day cruise into the Indian Ocean, and really enjoyed the rough weather thanks to Bianca. I have been reading more about the White-tailed Tropicbird I spotted a few days ago; apparently they are very rare in this part of the Indian Ocean and are typically only sighting during cyclones, as the wind pushes them further south than their normal range. Makes sense that we happened upon one right after the storm had passed, and that it seemed eager to land and circled the ship, like it had been flying for some time and was lost.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it back to port safely. Needless to say, I was a bit concerned. I know that is hard to believe. Great picture and story of the Tropic bird. Take advantage of the time off and get some rest.

    ReplyDelete