Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Brace for Turbulence

Surfed my finals waves for a while at the Noosa River mouth this morning, and what good waves they were. Long clean beach break faces with only HARC people out. My arms are feeling a good kind of hurt from all of the paddling; I didn’t let a single wave escape my feet. I am officially the drop in king (Paul B and Louie if you’re reading this you know what I’m talking about). Somehow the people I drop in on always finish the wave with a smile, so I must be doing something right. So long Sunshine Coast, until next time. Your point breaks and sandbars have been good to me.

Then came the goodbyes, I hate goodbyes. This was my second project with the UQ lab people, and I’ve enjoyed every minute with them. Especially the Irish, man they are hilarious. It was nice not having the vollies around for the last 3 days; it was just the staff and the super vollies. I’ve been asked to come back next year, and if I have nothing going on it will be hard to turn down the offer. I’m especially jealous of Amy and Zeus. They are barrowing Lou’s yellow van (Erik), and driving it down the coast for the next 3 weeks. I slept in Erik (that doesn’t sound right does it?) for the last few nights and I really enjoyed hearing the rain pummel the rusting metal roof. I think I’ll miss them the most, really great people. Even though Zeus ate my piece of pork crackling when I was on the verge of an emotional breakdown and I almost punched him in the face. It’s funny how I don’t realize how much I enjoy the company of people until I’m back on my own again.

Well I’m sitting in the Brisbane airport, my official home base for the rest of my stay in Australia. I’ll be flying in and out of here for all future MMO gigs. My flight departs at 5PM to Mackay, and they are anticipating some heavy weather. They wanted to book my on an earlier flight but it doesn’t work with my ride from the airport in Mackay, so it looks like a have a bumpy flight ahead. It should be nice and hot in Mackay, looking forward to sweating it out on the coal trestle. Let’s hope the whales have buggered off by now.

I’m thinking about staying clean shaven for a while, since I’m no longer with the HARC people I’ll be losing my “Bret” from The Flight of the Concords title, so I no longer have any need to look like him.

Looking out the massive airport windows I see some ominous deep purple clouds rolling in. Bring on the rain; this parched country could really use it.


2 comments:

  1. You are officially the intercontinental drop-in king.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ocean looked amazing this morning.

    Thought of you.

    Missing your smile and goofy face :o)

    Sending love, and someday a care package.

    ReplyDelete