Friday, September 17, 2010

HARC 2010

Take shelter everyone, the vollies have arrived. We had 23 or so join us yesterday, while the remaining 15 will be arriving sometime today. I am already trying to work out how to get away from some of them, but most seem like descent human beings. Luckily since I’ve become somewhat familiar with the staff of this project, and since we all have bonded through surfing, I have been given my own room with a double bed. Zeus informed them that I don’t flock well. I’ll be staying in what has been named “the boat house”, which apparently is where the boat people will be held.

I’ve been doing a lot of heavy lifting, tightening loose bolts, splicing lines; general manly activities for the past several days, helping out wherever my manly skills are required. Lately however, I’ve been lying around in my hammock, waiting for vollies to arrive and keeping them out of the hair of the staff; who are very busy scrambling around ensuring the very technical scientific equipment is set up and working properly. Not sure why they put me in charge of greeting people, it’s not one of my strong points. Interestingly enough there’s actually a girl who went to CSUMB for a year in 2007 volunteering for this project, and I’m fairly certain our paths have crossed once before. I’ll keep you updated on how that goes.

Had another amazingly mellow surf with the staff today at Noosa Heads, only about a 15 minute drive from base here in Peregian. The waves were about waist to occasional chest high, super clean with no wind, and long (maybe a good 30 seconds of riding). No one out except a few locals and us whale people. I did spot a small shark while sitting between sets, it was only about 3-4 ft long and posed little to no threat, so I didn’t bring it up to the others. Sharks are a common sight in Australia, and in general are not a problem, until of course they have a firm grip on your leg. If only I could bring these perfect waves back to California with me. I’ve decided that I must go on a surf safari to southern California when (IF) I return with my new banana board (it looks like a banana, not a technical term).

The birds here are incredibly vocal compared to those in North American; they all seem to have something unique to say. The Noisy Minors sound like a chorus of wind chimes, the Magpies (I think) sound like the whistle of a bomb falling through the air, and of course the Ravines try to dominate all the rest with their annoying raspy calls. I shouldn’t get used to sitting on a balcony listening to bird song for very long though, the hordes of vollies will soon overpower.

The photo is of Trivia and Goon night from last week at the hostel in Noosa. We places last, not at all related to the Goon.

1 comment:

  1. The people in the picture will they be working with you on the internship project? That's neat that another volunteer went to CSUMB too. I hope internship #2 will be as pleasant and interesting as the first. Be careful with that surfing!

    ReplyDelete