Monday, September 13, 2010

Bitter Sweet

I’m beginning to understand the most difficult part of traveling, and it’s not the long periods of isolation. You meet some really interesting people, develop relationships through stories and laughs, and then leave. During my 7 days in Noosa a finally connected with a really good group of mates, and last night we were all forced to part ways. One went back to Switzerland, one to Germany, and the rest continued in different directions on their travels through Australia. I was having a blast just lying around on the beach or in a hammock beneath the strange pine trees of this continent; in between mellow longboard surf sessions at Main Beach. Needless to say I didn’t want to say goodbye, and could have easily spent weeks with this routine. When you travel, you constantly have to start over from scratch. I never thought I would be so disappointed to leave people that I’ve known only for a week, it was like we had been friends for years. I think after many days of traveling alone, you become so desperate for human contact that once you find it, leaving again is extremely painful.


Just a few notes about what has happened over the last week. The surf at Noosa has been very small, but the water is a perfect 20 degrees and the sun has been at its fullest. I’ve surfed almost all day every day, except for our hike around Noosa National Park, where we spotted all sorts of wildlife including my first Australian snake ( a carpet python). I had one crazy drinking night with goon (also known as box wine). It was painful and fun at the same time, and I ended up in a gum tree for over 30 minutes (not sure why but it was actually surprisingly comfortable). I was rather hung over the next morning, yet still managed to get some good olas. My new surfboard is the perfect shape for these waves, allowing me to experiment with new tricks (including a 360 spin around the deck maneuver that I’m still trying to master). I think it’s safe to say that Noosa Heads so far has been my favorite stop in Australia, and I highly recommend a visit.

Now I’m surrounded once again by PhD’s and their minions; coiling lines, labeling boxes, and preparing the boats for HARC. No more lying around on the beach, it’s business time. You readers may be interested to know that I was accepted for a Hector’s Dolphin study in New Zealand this winter, so I’m working out the dates to synchronize that study with my breaks for the MMO work. Hopefully I will be able to fit it in and still make it home for Christmas. I will potentially only be there a month, staying in a small cottage in the countryside. Haven’t looked into the details of the study, but apparently there will be plenty of boat time involved.

Also Andrew posted some photos of my new board he shaped, it turned out really good. It’s the perfect
color and design; I can’t wait to ride it. Not sure if they can handle orders but if anyone is looking for a custom surfboard let me know and I’ll get you his contact info, he and his dad do good work (as you can see from the photo).

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing journey, Mike -- experiences you will treasure your whole life! I am so glad you made the decision to travel and see Australia. I'm glad you are grounded on HARC for awhile though, and I'm not sure why -- must be my work, work, work mentality. I think I need a vacation. What's a Hector's Dolphin study? Take care and will talk with you soon.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I contacted Andrew, he might build me a board too! I'm thinking fatty retro single fin egg... Sounds like you're having the time of your life. Let me know when you're in town, lets hit up the world class waves of Tioga.

    ReplyDelete