Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Herd: Day 238


I googled "white reindeer" to check how common they are, but apparently someone made a movie of the same name that's cluttering up the search results, and I don't have the internet capacity at the moment to sift through them. Maybe white's their winter coat? For now from this photo we can at least say they exist. I came upon this herd of about 200 animals on my way up to High Bluffs yesterday, and sneaked up on them in the fog. Reindeer hunting season on St. Paul kicked off a few weeks back, so the herds are less conspicuous and tend to graze in the interior of the island, away from roads and town.

Canon EOS 60D, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM + 1.4x, ISO-400 f/6.3 @ 1/2000 sec. 

1 comment:

  1. According to some random man in England, white reindeer are 1 in 10,000. But I don't know if I believe it.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/07/rare-white-reindeer_n_1133487.html

    ReplyDelete