Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Smelling The Roses: Day 195



I'm often guilty of moving from point A to point B without taking the time to observe the little things around me. For instance when I'm on the road and there's a scenic turnout ahead, I won't stop. I few days back I was hiking up a bluff to a site where we monitor nesting seabirds, when I noticed this brightly colored beetle buried in the grasses. It's species name is Carabus truncaticollis, an arctic species common in Russia and Asia, and found in some locations at the top of North America. Other than it has pretty colors, that's about the breadth of my entomological knowledge of this beetle. Sometimes it's worth stopping to smell the roses.

Canon EOS 60D, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM + Canon EF 25mm Extension Tube II, ISO-320 f/5.6 @ 1/320 sec.

No comments:

Post a Comment