Sunday, May 16, 2010

Packing My Life Into A Duffel

Ten days to lift off and counting. Now starts the always daunting task of packing. This time it's especially complicated since I'm packing for two trips with opposing weather patterns. North Straddie will be mild, in the mid to upper 70's, compared to Baja's scorching 90 degree average. I'd like to have a light bag for both trips, yet I'm finding out that I want to bring more than can be smashed and compressed into the duffels. Screw it, I'll just pack a few shirts and smell like a real researcher in order to make room for the snorkel, photography, and birding gear.


Reef has learned to recognize when I'm about to leave for an extended absence, and is looking a bit down these days. Luckily Rachel has offered to watch him while I'm gone , which means he gets to at least stay in the house that smells like my feet, armpits, and processed tacos. Good for Reef, not so good for everyone else.

4 comments:

  1. So it's been decided then? Reef and Rachel for the summer. Nice.

    Can we get together for a beer and a conversation before you leave? I'd like to know more about taking care of your best friend so that it's good for all of us.

    <3 -RO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mike! What a killer opportunity!!! I wish you all the best and safe travels. Can't wait to read all your blogs and see the pictures.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're on your way! Have a great trip Mike! Will be anxious to keep tabs on your research and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike! David just told me you were leaving, but he didn't know the details...now I know, and it's fabulous! Have a wonderful adventure out there. I'll be looking in on your blog from time to time, and I know you'll really enjoy yourself. Best, Bridget

    ReplyDelete